Chulilla is probably the most famous hiking place in the Valencian Community. Here you can spend a day hiking in nature and walking on hanging bridges. It is also one of the most popular destinations for climbers, since the Túria Canyon offers hundreds of climbing routes.
Even though they have been built quite recently, in 2013, the history of these bridges is much longer than one can expect. Everything began in the 1950s, with the construction of the Loriguilla Reservoir, in full boom and era of the “reservoirs”, during Franco times. The population of Chulilla was increased thanks to the building of the dam, since most of the workers who came from outside were staying in Chulilla at that time. It was then when it was decided to shorten the route, which they had to traverse twice each day, linking Chulilla and the reservoir, and build two bridges: one hanging and the other one fixed, which helped to cross the Turia Canyon much more quickly. But during the October 1957 flood in Valencia the amount of water that crossed the Turia canyon was so big that it took down the two bridges, and it stayed that way until 2013, when the bridges were rebuilt. This reconstruction boosted tourism of the area and its surroundings.
The highest bridge is approximately 15 meters above the river , not suitable for people with vertigo, and a walkway length is about 21 meters.
It was at the end of the Primo de Rivera dictatorship that the project of making a dam began, which would mark the future of the municipality. In 1926 the engineer Carles Dicenta, who worked for the Hydraulic Division of Júcar, started the project that ended in 1928 and that included a reservoir with the capacity of 21 cubic hectometres. The project was suspended until 1953 when the Directorate General of Hydraulic Works ordered the Hydrographic Confederation to propose a new one, done by José Sánchez-Tello.
On November 27, 1967 the Loriguilla reservoir was inaugurated, with a maximum capacity of 71 cubic hectometres, a perimeter of 35 kilometers and a sheet of water of 347 hectares.
Source: Loriguilla town hall
The origin of the name Azul (blue) is very curious and even though the lake is intense blue, this is not the reason for its name. The name is derived from an Arabic term Azud that indicates the presence of a small dam in the area that was used to water the orchards of the town. When we arrive at Charco Azul we have the feeling of having reached a kind of dream paradise. The turquoise color of this place next to the walls that guard it, just 10 meters wide at its most narrow point, make this place something incredible.
At the end of 1998, an outstanding discovery of great historical significance was made: the appearance of a set of Cave Paintings in the Barranco de Falfiguera. After the first observation the frieze was revealed to be of an extraordinary interest due to its appearance and the quantity of the pictorial representations. We must assume that the painted scenes were related to the rites of a hunting population. In these enclosures or shelters-sanctuaries several ceremonies would be carried out, in order to venerate certain spirits and periodically reactivate the creative force of the paintings to which the hunted animals would be linked, on which hunters’ own subsistence ultimately depended.