This is a circular route around the Santo Espíritu monastery in Gilet in the natural park of Sierra Calderona. The area allows you to hike up various peaks in short ascents, in this way it is possible to choose a comfortable distance and total elevation gain, ascending from 3 to 7 peaks and exploring the area from different points of view, all while enjoying the day in the mountains.
The monastery was founded by Maríá de Luna, the wife of Martín El Human, in the wake of the pacification of Sicily. For that, she relied on the donations of the lands of Jaumeta de Poblet, widow of Pere Guillem Català, the lord of Gilet, who inherited the property together with his daughter Juana, confirming the donation of the Pope Benedict XIII in 1403. All the property which corresponded to the donation occupied the valley of Toliu.
The king Fernando el Católico solicited the assignment of the convent to the Trinitarias, acceeding to the desire of Isabel de Villena, but this did not reach it’s conclusion and the monastery was left abandoned until 1491. On occasions it was also used for defensive purposes, like in XVI century, when a defense tower was built next to the monastery to protect it from pirate raids. In 1679 the monastery was passed to Padre Antonio Limaz and for this it was converted to a missionary college, its first guardian being the Majorcan Miguel Melchor Ferragut. In 1692 the inauguration of the actual Church took place after years of abandonment.
During the independence war, the friars abandoned the convent, making it into a blood bank. In 1813 the friars returned and by means of confiscation
the extensive pine forests passed to the State. In 1835 the friars abandoned the convent again, occupying it one more time in 1878 and declaring it the missionary college for the Holy Land with the patronage of the Royal Crown. After the Civil War it regained its brillianc with the assistance of a large number of novices, but at the same time lost its status of a college. Nowadays a museum is instalated there with interesting works and documents, but fundamentally now it serves the purpose of recreation.
Source: Town Hall of Segart
La Mola de Segart
A mountain more commonly known as La Mola, with the height of 566 meters, located in Sierra Calderona natural park, in the municipality of Segart. Emblematical summit, mostly for its peculiar shape, which can be recognized from any point, just like Penyagolosa, but also for its endearing influence on Valencian hiking. An excellent views opens up from the top, not only the surrounding mountains, but also the Mediterranean sea, so close that it seems you could touch it. The summit also hosts a geodesic vertice, serveing also as a orientation tabletop indicating all of the summits that can be seen around La Mola. This orientation panel was installed by
Centre Excursionista de València in 1971 in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of its foundation.
El Rodeno de la Creu
El Rodeno de la Creu, commonly known as the Cross of Santo Espíritu is 332 meter high hill, crowned by singular layers of rock, is the closest one to the monastery. Its takes its name from a cross that was installed at the summit in 1884 and later reinstalled in 1912, being enthroned on July 23rd, 1939 after the initiative of a corporation named “Caballeros Cruzados de Santo Espíritu del Monte”. The cross, which we can find on the top nowadays, was installed by the corporation in 1950, since the previous one was plundered.
Another peak, easily recognizable from afar situated in the northern part of the area. The name comes from its peculiar shape, since the mountain does appear to be round if you look from the East. A splendid view opens up from the top – Mediterranean sea, nearby villages and the Sagunto castle.
El Dragón de la Calderona
At the base of Montaña Redona you can find a very curious house which architecture surprises visitors of this area. This house-sculpture was founded as a project of constructing an area dedicated to arts, more specifically a Centro de Investigación y de Artes y Naturaleza, giving a different look to the area which in the past was a mining area in the middle of pure nature of Sierra Calderona. This project, named GAIA, intended to evoke and keep the natural expression of organic forms which fill the space of the park, using the means of architectural and artistic language of “and-art”, transforming the old mine in a place having a symbiotic relatinship with the area. According to the creators, the name GAIA has symbolic connotations, seeking to evoke the Greek mythology.
The idea of this house-sculpture as an arts centre was proposed by the sculptor Rhea Marmentin, a jazz saxofonist Perico Sambeat and a painter and cultural anthropologist Judit Nádor, who launched the initiave in 2005, receiving green light from the Gilet town hall in September of 2005.